Monday, April 17, 2017

My Seventh Day


On March 15th, I was back in Ms. Johns's classroom. When I first arrived to Mr. Jones's class, he informed me they were trying out a new online system, so there wasn't much I could do. In Ms. Johns's class, they were working on an Ancient Greek handout. The handout was based on a website they had to navigate. Instead of helping one student, I walked around the classroom and checked on students' progress. Eventually, Ms. Johns put me with a student who was spending most of the time on his phone. To help him stay focused, I did the worksheet with him and helped him find the answers. It was actually pretty hard because the website was confusing and there were lots of different pages.

I think doing "scavenger hunts" on websites is a cool idea, but if the website is too confusing, and the questions aren't in order of how they appear, it can take longer. However, the students do have to read more carefully. For some questions, the student I worked with had to reread a page up to three times before he found the answer. In this time period, I think technology should play a big part in the classroom. While students aren't in school to be entertained, lessons should still be engaging, especially because many don't want to be there in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment