Wednesday, May 3, 2017

My Eighth Day

On March 24th, I was in Ms. Johns's class once again. At first, I thought I liked going to Mr. Jones's class more, but it seems like I'm mostly just looking over their shoulders to make sure they're doing their work. That happens in Ms. Johns's class, but I feel like I help more.

The class started with an online quiz. They were allowed to review as much as they wanted before they took the quiz. I went on Friday instead of Wednesday this week, so there were two other UGA mentors, all from my service learning class. We made sure no one had their phones out while they were taking the quiz. After they finished, they started a worksheet. She didn't put us with particular students, so we went around the class checking progress and asking if anyone needed help. It was kind of frustrating, because no one needed help. But, I used it to get a kid on task. If I saw them on their phone or just not doing the work, I would come over and ask if they were okay or needed help. They would say no and immediately get back to work.

One of the biggest challenges I think I faced so far is not getting frustrated at students who just do not care. Every student in the class, and Mr. Jones's class, is capable of doing well on the assignments, it's just getting them to do the assignment is the struggle. When either the other mentors, Ms. Johns, or I would get a student back on task, they would breeze through the assignment with little to no help. As a future teacher of teenagers who think doing well in school is uncool, I want to make my students excited to learn. I don't want to be that teacher with a million projects or lots of creative projects, but it seems like that's the main way to make learning less boring for students who dislike reading and writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment